That's where this list comes in. Some of the best things even the saddest, more lifeless kitchens deserve, because not everyone likes huddling around a jar of peanut-butter, clutching plastic utensils like mindless cave people.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil. You can't go wrong with this stuff. It has enough flavor to stand alone as a light salad dressing, and is versatile enough to help sauté or toast or do whatever it is you do with EVOO.
- Vinegar. Balsamic is nice because, like EVOO, it can help dress things up. And any vinegar is great for when you have the hiccups.
- Stand Mixer. No one likes whipping cream or creaming butter by hand. It hurts and it takes forever. Now, while stand mixers can be a tad expensive, they're wonderful to have around. Cakes, ice creams, anything that needs a good beating can be thrown in that sucker and bam, no more hand cramps from whisking like a mad man.
- Bamboo Utensils. No matter what you're cooking, you can use bamboo. It doesn't scratch a surface like metal tongs or spatulas or spoons, it's lightweight, and it doesn't take on the flavor of what you're cooking like a wooden utensil.
- Sheet Pans. It doesn't really matter what you're making; pizza, bread, fries, chicken, anything that needs to be baked can be slapped on a sheet pan. Without sheet pans, there would be no life.